Tuesday, July 22, 2008

great visit!

i am sad that my mom is gone. her visit was too short. but i am thankful that i had the time we had together. we spent a laid back weekend hanging out, starting a sewing project and going to kyles game.


it was HOT at kyles game. i mean really hot! i felt bad for the kids being out there roasting. but i guess it's all part of the experience, no?


meanwhile we stayed cooler in the shade!


let me preface this by saying, i am in no way a seamstress. i try. i do. but patterns have not been friends of mine in the past. i get frustrated and the half cut and pinned project ends up landing in the bottom of a drawer. yes, it's a nemesis, and one i want to conquer. i am ready to take my sewing to the next level and, one day soon, bring some of my clothing designs into reality. so my mom got this pattern along with great fabric for the dress that i will make for her. isn't the design divine?? i am not tackling the jacket, right now. first the sheath dress underneath that impossibly adorable jacket.



when my mom was 12, and in 4H, she won a sewing contest! she sewed a skirt, blouse and a scarf. she told me this story as we were cutting the pattern and i thought it was so sweet. she said as one of the awards of winning, she got to model her creation in the show. but the part that made me go awwww was when she told me she wore the scarf on her head. (picture a little immigrant off the boat) that was a fashionable way to don that scarf...i suppose. i have a very vivid picture of the whole scene in my mind. endearing indeed!!
don't worry mom, this project won't find it's way to the bottom of a drawer. i will finish it and send it your way soon!

3 comments:

kim said...

Love the dress pattern! I am sure you will do a great job on it. I can't wait to see it after it is done! Great pics too-of course!

Stacey said...

Oh looks like you had so much fun with your Mom!!! Good luck with the dress! I am sure you will do great! I remember my Mom sewing ALL the time when I was younger, but after all of those Halloween costumes I made I think I totally burned myself out!! hee hee

presenceofself@comcast.net said...

I had a wonderful visit with you guys and I miss you all greatly! Oh sweet memories that I take with me. So many special and precious moments, and the laughter!
Love your post and the pictures. And love how you recreated my experience with 4H. I did look a bit like an immigrant, it was my bohemia period. :)
Love you so much! Give the boys a big hug and kisses for me.
Mom