Friday, December 04, 2009

he wants to come for christmas...

throughout this pregnancy i have had a strong feeling that i will NOT make it to my january 24 due date. not by a long shot. i have no particular reason for feeling this way, it's just a feeling.
on tuesday i had a doctors appt. and i measured 2 centimeters ahead of what i should be. the previous appt. i measured 1 centimeter ahead. so, that puts me now at 36 weeks instead of 32. hmm. not a big surprise to me given the feelings i have been having.
tuesday evening i started having regular contractions. like 8 minutes apart contractions. i called the doctor and he told me to go in.
after being hooked up to monitors, an i.v. (which hurt more than any i.v. has a right to because apparently i have "rolly" viens), and poked and proded in many other uncomfortable (understatement) ways, they decided to stop my contractions. with two very painful (like killer beesting painful) shots of something i can't remember or even pronounce. i sent stephan out to get something to eat while the medicine did it's thing. the nurse left me a remote that had a call button and tv controls. a remote that wasn't plugged in. nice. i soon wished i wasn't alone because my pulse was racing. i truly felt like i was going to burst, or have a heartattack, or some other dramatic act. my face felt hot, as did the rest of me. help! when stephan returned he commented on how red i was and i told him how the rest of me felt. we called the nurse and she said, oh, that's a side effect of the medications....sorry i forgot to tell you. umm...yeah...that little piece of information would have been useful for my peace of mind.
after an hour or so more of waiting and feeling like i was coming out of my skin, she came back in and said that i could go home. great. good. just get me out of here, please! while she was taking my i.v. out (almost as painful as when it went in) stephan was texting my sister. laughing all the while because their conversation was apparently hilarious. i'm gritting my teeth and bleeding all over the place. okay, maybe it was only a few drops of blood, but at that moment it might as well have been gushing. and my husband is laughing/texting. sheesh. now i know that he loves me and cares about me. i know this. i'm just saying...
so i get dressed, sign all the documents, get instructions, yeah, yeah, yeah...just let me out of here already. mama needs to EAT! get in the car and screech into the drive-thru of mcdonalds - STAT! i downed that cheeseburger faster than i care to relate. and the large frys. ahem. well, i was pretty much licking that bag for more. all self respect out the window long ago.

we'll see how much longer this little guy will stay in my belly. he really wants out!

5 comments:

presenceofself@comcast.net said...

could be a sweet early Christmas present, just as it was when Noah came into this world on December 20.

Look forward to seeing you and the family on December 23!

I love you and pray that you and baby remain healthy.
Mom

Jandi said...

scary... i hoped you listened to your previous feeling about packing that bag?

Angie Fellows said...

What an awful and difficult night! Your feelings were definitely right- you are one wise woman! Know I'm thinking of you. Please let me know if I can do ANYTHING to help with these last awful few weeks of pregnancy!

Anonymous said...

I was laughing cause Ruthie needed her helmet! Oh have you packed that "christmas" present for the hospital yet? I think not!

Natalie said...

seriously little ashton - just a few more weeks to make sure those lungs are all developed! we are all so excited to meet him that it's hard to encourage him waiting a while.